Friday, February 18, 2011

Parent lashes out at Razzano

By PATRICK E. LITOWITZ
plitowitz@ncnewsonline.com

The controversy involving New Castle’s youth football program and the district’s head football coach spilled onto the basketball court.

The parent of a high school student denounced board member Barbara Razzano for an alleged verbal confrontation Feb. 11 at the girls and boys varsity contests against Ambridge in the Ne-Ca-Hi Field House. Pat Minenok detailed his complaint during Wednesday night’s regular school board meeting.

Minenok said his daughter, Lauren, was preparing to sing the national anthem when Razzano approached him about remarks he made during a youth football banquet last week.

“This was a special night,” he said. “My daughter’s first and only Senior Night.
“(Razzano’s) bent over, and she’s in my face. She’s distracting me and my family. I can’t believe she thought this was an appropriate time and place to have this conversation.”

Minenok is an assistant varsity football coach on Frank Bongivengo Jr.’s staff. He also serves as commissioner for the youth program that Bongivengo oversees in an advisory role.

BACKGROUND

Razzano has been seeking documents related to the program while it has been under Bongivengo’s direction. She filed a Right to Know request with the district.

Unsatisfied with its response, she went to state Office of Open Records. The agency ordered the district to comply, which solicitor Charles Sapienza said it has done, despite not having the records in its possession. In April, the sides will appear in Lawrence County common pleas court as Razzano pursues an enforcement order.

The state Attorney General’s Office is reviewing a potential criminal case against the head coach.

“I’m not one to lower myself and explain everything,” Razzano said. “There was a presentation made by Mr. Minenok that I thought was very inappropriate.

“Many people did approach me and say it was appalling about what he said at that banquet. When I approached him, it wasn’t during the national anthem.

Minenok attempted to correct her and said the event did not take place while his daughter was singing.

“I said it was just before,” he said.

THE BANQUET

The banquet occurred two days earlier at George Washington Intermediate Elementary School. Minenok said he mentioned Razzano’s name regarding rumors about the program. He then noted where she lived in relationship to George Washington, where youth teams practice. The Bongivengos and Minenoks, who are neighbors, have homes by the school and can see Razzano’s house from their front yards.

Minenok said when Razzano approached him he didn’t want to talk. He reportedly asked Razzano several times to leave.

“Why did I mention her name? There was a rumor circulating about the program that I wanted to stop,” he said. “I know for a fact they were false and that she’s the woman in the paper with her face, her picture, her name in regards to the football program.

“Why did I mention where she lived? ... I thought it was very unusual that if (Razzano) had any genuine concerns about our program why (she) wouldn’t just walk out (her) back door and come and ask me.”

The board member said she acted properly.

“I was not screaming. All I did was I asked (Minenok) to clarify what was said at that banquet, which I think I needed to know. If you’re talking about me and a Razzano clique, then I should be aware of what you are saying about me.”

Minenok said Razzano spoiled his daughter’s Senior Night.

“This woman intruded upon our family time. Now the focus has been removed from my daughter and now it’s on her.

“If she has any class, any dignity, any professionalism, she will apologize to my daughter for ruining her Senior Night.”

Minenok said if Razzano couldn’t control her emotions, she should resign her position on the board.

Razzano countered that Minenok’s actions should be scrutinized. She said his comments represented an opinion of her open records lawsuit against the district.

RESIGN?

“I don’t believe there is any place for an assistant varsity football coach and commissioner of the New Castle youth football program to make a speech concerning a matter being investigated by the state Attorney General at a venue such as this,” she said.

“Now, who is the one that should resign?”

Razzano also rejected the assertion she marred Lauren Minenok’s experience.

“Well, I thought his daughter, Lauren, did a magnificent job singing the national anthem as usual. I witnessed her performance while sitting next to my friends in my own seat — not next to Pat Minenok.”

Minenok’s wife, Roberta, said she was unnerved by the event.

“I feel very threatened,” she said. “What is stopping her from continuing this type of behavior?”

Pat Minenok said his attorney sent a letter to Razzano telling her to stay away from him and his family.

Superintendent George Gabriel asked Sapienza to determine if any violation of the district’s code of conduct occurred.

After the meeting, Minenok phoned The News to say he received a call from an unidentified male, who told him to watch his back. Minenok said he contacted the city police to file a report.

No comments:

Post a Comment